> HOW TO SET UP AN S&P 500 CHART TEMPLATE <
Set up and save your own chart template - just like the ones we use here - so you can 'play along' at home! Here’s how to do it:
1. Go to the Yahoo!Finance home page.
2. In the “Get Quotes” box at the upper left corner type in: ^gspc then click the Enter key.
3. On the Quotes page, click “Interactive” under the “Charts” section of the left hand column.
4. On this page, at the top of the chart, going left to right, click these buttons one at a time:
> 5yr (to set a weekly chart)
> Chart Type (the one to the right of the 'Custom' button), then select BAR from that drop down box
> Indicator, then select 'Simple Moving Average' from the drop down box (to make this a 200-day average, click the 'SMA 50' icon on the chart & change the 'Period' from 50 to 200)
> Indicator (again), then select 'Simple Moving Average' again (to make this a red line, click the 'SMA 50' icon on the chart, click the color box, select RED & click OK)
5. “Save” this page to the desktop or to an “investments” folder and it’s there forever!
NOTE: Now you can pull up a chart of any market, stock or mutual fund you’d like to check out just by typing in its ticker symbol in the “Go To Symbol” box at the top right of the chart.
'NOTHER NOTE: If the set up instructions above seem a bit confusing, check out our video to the right - it makes the process a lot clearer!
YET ANOTHER NOTE: Not sure of a particular ticker symbol (that’s hard to say 3 times in a row)? No problem, just start typing the name of the company or fund in the box and let the auto-complete function guide you to it!